Wednesday, May 30, 2012

In Defense of the Four-Door Coupe

Audi A7 Tail

?

Just about a decade ago, the introduction of the contradictory phrase "four-door coupe" angered me. I distinctly remember testing the Mercedes-Benz CLS at its press launch thinking, "This is a pretty car, but why not just call it a sedan?" I doubted the long-term viability of the genre, but the world's oldest automaker enjoyed the last laugh, as countless imitators have since carved a niche for themselves by building similarly-themed slope-tailed sedans.

?

Last week I tested the $76,000 BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe, an attractive (if pricey) alternative to run-of-the-mill Bimmers. But I didn't fully grasp the genre's potential until I borrowed an Audi A7 the following week back at home. The key differentiator? This time, I was able to strap in a baby seat and shuttle my six month-old around town... and in doing so, I didn't feel old. The Audi seemed strangely sleek for its size, and the surprising steering feel and transient handling response actually made this 4,210 lb four-door fun to drive.

?

If that's not a great excuse to buy into the silliness of an oxymoronic marketing phrase, I don't know what is.

holocaust remembrance day chesapeake energy dick clark death yom hashoah yolo liquidmetal gsa scandal

No comments:

Post a Comment